The choice of a data architecture is based on the objectives and needs of the company. Actionable data should be selected. The choice of tools depends, among other things, on the volume of information to be processed. In order to ensure the protection of your data, it is also necessary to opt for an effective security system.
What is the objective of your data project ?
The development of a data project is built on a solid foundation, like any strategic project. Before determining the types of data to be used, it is necessary to define the purpose of integrating the data process into the company’s project. The first step is to determine the objective of the project, integrating it into a global vision.
What types of data do you want to recover and use?
In order to determine the type of information to be used, the objectives of the data analysis should be defined. This makes it possible to strategically select the information to be retrieved and analyzed.
Volumetrics, competitive query and up-to-date data
The processing of the elements of a data project depends mainly on the volume, the competitive query and the updating of the data.
Managing the volume of data stored depends on the amount of giga or tera. It is necessary to choose the tools adapted to the volume of data. If we take Microsoft’s Azure solution, the choice of tool will be different:
- Low-volume data: Azure SQL
- High volume data: Azure Synapse
A tool adapted to the management of a large volume of data offers time savings on the production of team figures, increases the responsiveness of operations and optimizes data management.
The competitive query
Competitive query allows, among other things, when using a report by a certain number of people, to ensure that all these people access the report smoothly and instantaneously, without latency or slowdown.
Updating the data
A regular update makes it possible to obtain complete information almost in real time, in particular via the batch mode. Depending on the company’s data project, its dynamics and the type of data to be handled, the refresh can be programmed according to different frequencies: day, date and time.
Safety: an important criterion to take into account
In order to ensure the protection of your company’s computer data, it is necessary to define the desired level of security. There are different ways to ensure the security of stored data and its transport: encryption and data masking.
This solution offers different levels of security for sensitive data. Encryption chiffre data using encryption algorithms and keys. It includes the protection of sensitive and confidential information, prevention against the risk of leakage, loss or theft of data. There are 3 types of encryption.:
- Symmetric encryption includes a single cipher for encryption and decryption.
- Asymmetric encryption has a public key for encryption, a private key for decryption.
- Hybrid encryption includes creating a temporary decryption key, symmetric data encryption, encrypting the recipient’s public key, destroying the encryption key, and transmitting data encrypted with a public key to read data from the session key.
Data masking allows you to hide some of the sensitive data using a function. For example, when making a credit card purchase, only the last 4 digits are visible. Hiding data from a data project helps protect consumers ‘ sensitive information. It is important to determine which fields to hide to avoid sharing confidential or sensitive data.
In order to ensure the security of the network during data transport, it is necessary to choose a program adapted to the needs of the company. There are various options for securing the data to migrate:
- An application gateway makes it possible to use existing protection by adapting to new information technologies. It is data-driven and provides visibility into the state of digital infrastructure (energy meters, ATS systems).
- A Network Gateway allows devices on another network to interact through data transmission. It is implanted in a software or a “hardware” solution. The “Network” gateway uses network connection protocols that work on all open systems interconnection (OSI) models. It also serves as a proxy and firewall to ensure the protection and transport of sensitive data.
- A private or public IP address identifies each user connected to a computerized network with an IP protocol, valid for all connected devices (computers and devices). The private IP address numbers the digital devices of an Intranet private network, the public IP address is unique for each computer that connects to an Internet network.
The company that adopts a data architecture adapted to the intended objectives will benefit from optimal information management. To ensure the control and security of data, it is necessary to use tools adapted to volumetry and which offer a strong security of sensitive data.